March 6, 2011

My Neuroma



Lyrics not to be confused with My Sherona.  No, this song goes something like this...

What the &%$# is wrong with my foot!  It feels like it is on fire.  And we’re not talking about a small brush fire here.  Holy crap I’ve got another 20 miles to run.  What am I going to do?  I wish they carried fire extinguishers at the aid stations. Every time I take a step my toes feel like they are going to explode.  Did someone stash a gaggle of fire ants in my shoe? Running gods can you hear me?!  Help.  Me......

This, of course, is the scene I’m trying to avoid at my next 50 miler just three weeks away. But this, of course, is the predicament of one runner with a neuroma on his right foot.  I thought it was just a rock that I had stepped on a few weeks back.  The burning, ugly feeling that enveloped my toes and forefoot was downright rude to me and had no sympathy for my trail savvy feet.  The burning, ugly feeling only showed itself on the longest of trail runs, but then started rearing its obnoxious head on the simple little runs during the week. Burning, ugly feeling, you're going to do this to me now? Oh boy.

So when I showed up at the podiatrist with shoes in hand I wasn’t surprised when he said it wasn’t a broken bone.  What?  Doctor please tell me I didn’t come here to find out I don’t have broken bone.  No, you’ve come here to learn about a neuroma, and that you have one in your right foot.  Neuromas suck, because they cause a burning, ugly feeling.  And it feels like your foot is on fire....Thanks Doctor.  Actually the guy was pretty cool, and he injected my foot with cortisone.






That was what he did.  What I did was rotate several shoes through several runs. I found out that certain shoes cause the neuroma to flair up, and others don’t. Unfortunately my go-to trail shoes I’ve worn in the last few races—Montrail Mountain Masochist—seem to trigger the darn thing.  My New Balance 760s, a road shoe, don't seem to trigger it.  So until such time as this $%#@ thing packs its bags for good, I’ll be running in my 760s, which of course were discontinued this year. The good news to all this? 760s are available all over the internet at half price!  Thanks running gods!  I new you would look out for me! 

7 comments:

Rachel said...

ouch! sorry to hear about the neuroma, i've heard they're a real b*#!h. hope things improve soon!

Tiff said...

I know you don't know me but I was brought to your blog because I have the same problem with my foot and I've been trying to figure out what is wrong. People keep telling me it's diabetes but I've been tested and it comes back negative, plus it's only in my right foot.

I am starting to get really concerned because I am running the Wasatch Back in June and I'm having the hardest time training. Thanks for giving me at least a name of something to take to my doctor to see if that is what is wrong.

Your new friend, Tiffany

EricG said...

OOOOOO that needle looks like fun Will. In between the toe? Under the nail? I know it wont stop you so good luck and kick ass in 3weeks. Peace Eric

Dom said...

Like the blog, your an animal

Unknown said...

Dude, that is one ugly foot! Hope it feels better soon (and looks better) - damn!

Will Cooper said...

Folks, this isn't any ordinary foot. This is my foot at the peak-skin-dying-period after Western States. The stuff was coming off like a fruit roll! T+3.5 weeks if you're interested.

Ameer The Trail Running Shoes Lover said...

Sorry to know about your Neuroma trouble and happy that you got a temporary solution with your 760s. You have good spirit that you didn't take a break, until that thing packs up for good. :) I appreciate it.