June 12, 2008

Running Central Park, New York

Start Spreading the News

When my plane touched down on the runway at Kennedy Airport, I glanced at my watch. Traveling cross country takes its toll on a runner. This trip was no exception. It was after midnight. And the trip to my hotel was far from over. After passing through a logistical labyrinth just to get from my seat on the airplane to my hotel, I finally laid my head down on the pillow. It was 3:30 am. My morning running plan was now officially scrapped. Yes, it looks like an evening run tomorrow.



So Many Runners

Central Park is one of my favorite places to run. There is an energy that seems to emanate from here, maybe because there are always so many runners in the park. I’ve run the park in the heat of summer and the coldest of winters. And I’ve never run alone here. With dozens of Central Park runs under my belt, I’m still exploring, still in awe of a scenery that lifts my senses every opportunity I get to come here.
Only In New York


Yesterdays run was no exception. As I strolled into the park an hour before dusk, I made my way toward the Jackie Onassis Reservoir. I meandered through the Sheep Meadow, The Boat House on the Lake, Belvedere Castle, and around Turtle Pond. Once to the reservoir, I began a series of intervals ranging from a half mile to a mile.
My legs turned in a relaxed rhythm as my mind wondered, back to my distant past. I pushed the pace. My legs responded. My stride lengthened. As I strode toward the last turn I remembered, long ago, when I was able to run with so little effort, so swift.
Its good to be back in the saddle.
Jackie Onassis Reservoir



Around the Reservoir At Dusk

No comments: